Followers

Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Stereo

     My mother had an ancient record player that spun 78's.  We kids had a suitcase-like affair that played 33's and 45's.  Somewhere in the early 1960's we got "the stereo."  The stereo played all three record formats, and it had a record changer that allowed us to stack several records on the tall spindle.  There was a radio with AM, FM, and a third band that we never used.   It was all wrapped up in a dark, glossy walnut cabinet that showed every spec of dust.
     The acquisition of such a fine piece of equipment  necessitated the purchase of current recordings.  That's where budding adolescence butted heads with a frugal father.  I wanted Beatle albums at $3.50 a pop, and my father wanted to rummage through 2 and 4 for $1.00 bins at the Pennsauken Mart.  If it was recorded in stereo, he bought it.  To make matters worse, my uncle worked at RCA in Moorestown.  He contributed numerous RCA recordings, performed by unknown artists, to our collection.  Dad splurged on a Brenda Lee and a Theresa Brewer record, but I had to content myself with listening to the Beatles on the radio or at a friend's house.  Any time I requested a Beatle album, I heard, "The Beatles are a fad.  In five years no one will remember them.  You'll get their records in the 4 for $1.00 bin.  I'll buy you as many Beatle records as you want then."
     Well, it's been fifty years, and the two Beatles who are still alive are rocking and rolling.  Their records never went into the clearance bin.  Today "Meet the Beatles" will cost you $20.00 on ebay.


      There's a lot of satisfaction in knowing that when I was an eleven year old, I was smarter than my old man on at least this one subject.  And yeah, I rubbed it in a few times over the years that I was never going to get that 25¢ Beatle record.
     Listening to my parents' goofy music collection didn't hurt me.  Some of those tunes are rattling around in my head to this day.  One of those records was called "Comfort Me with Apples" by India Adams.  When you see the album cover and listen to the lyrics, you'll probably agree that Beatlemania was tame compared to the sultry Miss Adams.

        
     Listen to the title track: http://www.indiaadams.com/Audio/01%20-%20India%20Adams%20-%20Comfort%20Me%20With%20Apples.mp3   
   
     India Adams, like the Beatles, is still around today.  She was a ghost singer in the 1950's. When a big star got a role in a musical, ghost singers often performed in their place.  Miss Adams was the voice of Cyd Charisse in "Band Wagon" and Joan Crawford in "Torch Song."  Her last gig was an autobiographical show in December 2012 at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco, California. But you can't buy a piece of India Adams on ebay.  Again, Dad, I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment