Followers

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Get It Off Facebook, Please

     I like animals.  I love dogs, like bunnies, hamsters, and guinea pigs, and tolerate cats.  I wish I could install chickens, a pony, and a goat or two in the back yard.  I have to confess, I'm not big on fish.  Some people find watching them relaxing.  I just find it boring.  Give me a creature I can touch and that responds to my voice.  I need that.
     Most people with whom I am aquainted also like animals.  There's nothing surprising about that since like minded people seek each other out.  I wouldn't, nor would anyone I know, ever abuse an animal.  Once, while mowing the lawn, I ran over a rabbit's nest.  Bunny parts flew out of the mower's discharge chute.  I spent a few minutes standing in my front yard shaking and wailing.  Another time I hit a bird in flight that was trying to make it across Route 73.  I heard the thud, looked into my rear view mirror at a cloud of feathers, and almost vomited into my lap.  Except for these two accidents, I have never harmed a hair of any animal's hide.
     So, I'm asking all my Facebook friends, fellow animal lovers, to stop- cease and desist, even- from posting those animal abuse photos.  Please, no more filthy, matted, ringworm crusted pooches.  No more barely conscious, skin and bones mutts.  No more dogs with twisted limbs and puppy sized collars embedded in their necks.  I know depraved individuals use bait dogs to "train" pit bulls, but I don't want to see the bloody results of those encounters.  I'm not living in denial.  I know what can happen to helpless animals.  I support animal charities and animal shelters in an effort to stop the abuse.  I know I would intercede if I discovered an animal was being abused, and I'm pretty sure I would even come out swinging, if I had to.
     I don't need to be reminded that evil exists.  So, please guys, stop posting those awful pictures.  You're preaching to the choir when you post that stuff on Facebook.

   

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and have said the same. Do not think my family and friends are among the animal abusers of the world.

    ReplyDelete