Followers

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Git 'Er Done

     Some jobs are big jobs.  When it comes to those jobs, you have to put your nose to the grindstone, put your shoulder to the wheel, put your back into it.  You have to git 'er done.
     I managed to get one done recently - for the last time.  I pulled all the crabgrass out of the lawn, then fertilized and overseeded.

My nemisis.

     For me, eliminating crabgrass is like trying to make a decent cup of coffee.  I just can't do it.  Other people make terrific coffee that tastes just like restaurant coffee.  I have bought every brand of java out there and used filtered water.  I have tried various brewing methods from Keurig, to drip coffee makers, to a french coffee press.  My coffee tastes like swill.  Other people have lush, weed free lawns that rival the greens on the finest golf courses.  I apply lime, weed 'n' feed, and crabgrass preventer.  By August, my lawn is full of clover, crabgrass, and other plants I can't name.  If I want a decent cup of joe, I have to go to Dunkin' Donuts.  I am beginning to think I'll have to go to Grass Masters to get a decent lawn.
     There's lots of advice out there on how to eliminate crabgrass.  Of course, you should apply crabgrass preventer in the early spring.  The problem is that it's difficult to know the best time to spread the chemical.  Folk wisdom says it should be dropped when forsythia is in bloom. Scientists say it should be applied when the soil temperature reaches 57-64 degrees Fahrenheit. Evidently every homeowner needs a soil thermometer to get it right.  Since the chemical looses effectiveness over time, an early spring application will not prevent late germinating crabgrass from thriving at the end of the summer.  Some lawn services lay the pre-emergent chemical down twice per season.  Here's an article that explains just what a buggar crabgrass is: http://www.townpridelawnservice.com/blog/bid/376088/6-Myths-about-Crabgrass-Preventer-in-New-Jersey
     This article outlines plan of attack against crabgrass: http://www.familyhandyman.com/landscaping/how-to-get-rid-of-crabgrass/view-all
     This is a good video: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1639399,00.html
     As I said, this is the last time I do battle with this weed.  I crawled around the lawn for a couple of hours each day for 3 weeks.  I pulled out all the weeds. I loosened the soil on the bare spots, and I broadcast grass seeds everywhere.  Then I spread a thin layer of peat, followed by lime and starter fertilizer.

You can see all the brown areas are where I yanked out crabgrass and replanted grass.

It's looking pretty good right now.
     This was way too much labor for an old lady.  Staring in the early spring of 2015, I will diligently follow a program of fertilization and weed killing and prevention.  I will apply a crabgrass pre-emergent when the soil temperature reaches 57°-64°.  I will apply it again in 4-6 weeks to keep effectiveness high and to prevent late germinating seeds from sprouting.  I'll use insect control to keep my grass healthy.  And if I end up with another crop of crabgrass next August, I'm going to sit back drinking my cup of Wawa coffee while I watch the lawn service git 'er done in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment