Followers

Monday, October 13, 2014

I Hate Windows 8

     I hate Windows 8.  To be completely accurate; utterly precise; rigorously exact; categorically, unequivocally, expressly understood about this - I frickin' hate Windows 8.  It must be bad if it has an old lady using the almost f-word, right?  Yes, it's that bad, and more.
     I've often said to Mike that my timing is awful.  I always end up buying high and selling low.  It figured that when I needed a new computer, the operating system that had just appeared on the scene was Windows 8.
     So what has me all hot and bothered?  Let me begin.
   
     1. Windows 8 (actually Windows 8.1 - it has already undergone changes because everybody hates it) is a radical departure from any other Windows operating system you might have used. Nothing about it looks the same.  Somebody at Microsoft decided that desk top computers should look and act like smartphones and tablets.  When you start up your computer, you get a bunch of pictures (called tiles).  No icons to double click, no "Start" button, just tiles.  'Cause we all want apps, right?

Tiles

     
     2.  Wrong.  We want our old desktop.  There is a tile called "Desktop."  If you click the "Desktop" tile, you will be taken to something that resembles the old Windows start up screen.  This desktop is a fooler, though.  It won't do what your old desktop did.  At first there wasn't a "Start" button to bring up your programs.   Somebody at Microsoft must have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth because in the 8.1 update, they added a so-called start button.  Can you see it on the illustration below, on the bottom, left corner?

Starting to feel familiar?

 Here's a bigger pic:

The new start button.
  
What happens when you click the new start button?  You get sent back to the tile page!
     3.  I started out by saying that Microsoft created Windows 8 to push the idea of using apps, like phones and tablets.  So, my new PC came with a touch screen.  Every time I sit down at my computer that greasy, smeared touch screen stares me in the face.  I don't like doggy nose prints on the car windows, I don't like flossing splatter on the bathroom mirror, and I especially don't like finger prints all over my monitor.
   
     So, what can you do if you don't like using tiles and you find trying to navigate the woefully inadequate excuse for the old desktop too complicated?  You can install a program that makes Windows 8 look and operate like the older versions of the Windows operating system.  One of these programs is called Classic Shell.  You can downgrade to Windows 7.  Really, would you? You can wait for the next Windows system to be released.  I hear they are going back to the tried and true desktop.  That's an admission that Windows 8 is a flop.  Maybe disgruntled Windows 8 users should get a free upgrade.
     Wait, there's another solution.  Buy a Mac.  Did you hear me, Bill Gates?  I'm piqued off, and I'm not gonna take this any more.   

4 comments:

  1. My wife and I bought Macs for christmas. I was a Microsoft Partner for years. The Mac is what a computer should be, everything is easy plus a reduced threat of viruses. There are only a couple of things I have found to harder on a Mac. One is it is harder to get to the guts (which is a good thing for most people) to tweak it. But we wouldn't trade our Macs for anything now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering a Mac? Talk to your dogsitter, she can guide you. We're a household of Mac users and while I use a Windows PC at work 8 hours/day 5 days/wk I would NEVER buy one for personal use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the two of you for weighing in on Apple products. I'll most likely suffer through Windows for the life span of this computer, then head over to the Apple Store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had already decided that, once my current, Windows laptop bites the dust, I would go Mac. My daughter has a Mac and absolutely loves it. These comments have just cemented my decision. Thanks! However, I have to add that what the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is doing for malaria eradication is wonderful. Not that that has anything to do with choosing a computer...

    ReplyDelete