Followers

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Winner, Winner Pot Pie Dinner

     I love pot pies.  My grandmother always had a beef roast on Sunday.  She made beef pot pie on Monday with the leftovers.  I usually managed to "miss" the bus on Monday afternoon so I could walk to Grandmom's house, located across the street from the school, and have dinner with her.
     I love chicken pot pie, too.  I just tried a recipe that is to die for.  I followed this recipe exactly, but the next time I make it, I'll try some cholesterol lowering substitutions.

Chicken Pot Pie

About 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
4 medium carrots, sliced
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 ribs celery, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 small potatoes, cubed
5 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1-3/4 cups chicken broth (that's a 14.5 oz. can)
2/3 cup whole milk
2 - 9" unbaked pie crusts, store bought or home made

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425°.

Get a pot of water boiling and add carrots.  Boil for 5 minutes, then add chicken, celery, and potatoes.  Boil 5 more minutes, then add frozen peas.  Boil 5 additional minutes for 15 minutes total cooking time.  Remove from heat and drain.  Set meat and vegetables aside.  The recipe says you should reserve the liquid in case you need to extra for the sauce.  I used a small amount of the liquid to replace what boiled away in the next step.

In the same pot melt butter.  Cook onion in the butter until it is translucent.  Stir in salt, pepper, and celery seed.  Finally, add flour a little at a time while stirring.  Once the flour is incorporated into the butter, slowly add milk and chicken broth.  Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Put one 9" pie crust into a 9" pie plate.  Don't use a deep dish pie plate if you use store bought crusts as the bottom crust might be a little too small to come to the top edge of the deep plate. Mix the meat and vegetables with the sauce.  Spoon the mixture into the crust.  Cover with the top crust and seal the edges.  Make some slits in the top of the pie for the steam to escape.

Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch drips) and bake 30 to 35 minutes.  I baked for 30 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.  Makes 6 servings.

     This is not a quick meal, but it is so good that it's worth the effort.  Using store bought crusts cuts down preparation time.  Using leftover chicken would also save time.
     Next time I make this, I will substitute two tablespoons of olive or canola oil for two of the tablespoons of butter.  I might also cut the milk back from whole milk to 2% milk.
     If I'm feeling really adventurous, I might try this with leftover turkey and a can of turkey broth.  I might also switch out the peas for green beans.  I'll let you know.

It was just as good warmed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment