Followers

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Happy Third Blog Day to Happy in Hainesport

     H in H is just a modest success.  It doesn't generate income and it hasn't brought me fame or notoriety.  Every now and then a post strikes a chord, and 1,000 people read an article.  However, most of the time the same fifteen loyal readers come back day after day.  My success lies mainly in the fact most blogs last about one month and H in H is entering its fourth year.  That doesn't make me a great writer, but sure as shootin' I'm tenacious.
     Back in 2012, I tried a few things to generate interest in the blog.  I sent a postcard to every household in Hainesport announcing the establishment of H in H.  I also placed a sign in the back window of my car proclaiming that everyone should be reading the blog by the gal from Hainesport.  Imagine my satisfaction the day I looked into the rear view mirror and discovered the motorist behind me was reading my sign out loud to her passenger.  Yes, I have lip reading skills. I always carry a pile of homemade business cards that I tack up on every public bulletin board I pass - grocery stores, diners, and the local post office beg the public to google me.  I asked everyone in my email contacts to ask everyone in their email contacts (and so on and so on) to read the blog, hoping to get a Happy in Hainesport chain letter going.  I think somebody broke that chain.  I shamelessly promoted myself on Facebook and Pinterest.
     The other day I was driving down the Marne Highway, crossing the line between Mount Laurel and Hainesport townships.  There was a brand new advertisement on a previously empty billboard.  What a great place for a Happy in Hainesport advertisement I mused.  What would that cost?
     My mother used to say if you can read, you can do anything.  I say if you want to know something, look it up on the internet.  I found a very informative article from New Jersey Outdoor Media that says billboards cost anywhere from a lot to a real whole lot.  Prices vary based on the location of the billboard (major highway or secondary road), the size of the billboard (12 X 24 or 12 X 40 or larger), the number of cars that travel past the sign (a figure that is complied by the Department of Transportation), and installation and the cost of the vinyl used to print the advertisement.  Other factors are the number of available billboards in the area where you want to advertise (supply and demand), the length of your contract, and whether or not you are renting one or multiple billboards.  A billboard could cost from $450 per month to $10,000 per month.  http://jerseyoutdoor.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-much-do-billboards-cost.html
And I thought the price of advertising a yard sale in the Burlington County Times had gotten out of hand.
     I'll keep thumb tacking cards to bulletin boards.  Maybe on a nice day, I'll sink to the annoying practice of slipping flyers under wiper blades.  Those whom I do not piss off might take a look. Maybe I could build my own billboard and plant it on the front lawn, provided that doesn't violate any local ordinances.
     Or I could just write when I feel inspired and put it out there for the fifteen friends and relatives who check in with me via blogger.com.  Thanks guys for the past three years.          
                 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Your blog has been informative, amusing, and has served to rekindle some very fond memories. Keep on bloggin', my friend!

    ReplyDelete