Followers

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Santa Anita Park, Arcadia, California

     I used to work with a guy whose goal it was to visit every minor league baseball stadium in the United States.  I think Mike wants to visit every race track.  Our last stop was at Santa Anita Park.

The exterior is pretty and the grounds are immaculate.

The mountains make a beautiful backdrop.
 
Mike wondered if these horses were being trained in the race routine since they did not appear to be racing that day.

Growing up, some girls were in love with horses.  Not me.  However, I did think this animal was beautiful.

Joe Talamo, Hanging Out Before a Race

Mike, Handicapping a Few Races

I never saw this before - booths set up to teach people how to place bets.

And They're Off

The races are exciting, but I just can't shake the idea that the animals might not want to do this.
 
I managed to get my picture taken with reporter Britney Eurton.  Her father is trainer Peter Eurton.  Ms. Eurton charmed me.  She is a lovely young woman.  She completely ignored the container of Coors Light tucked under my arm.

Mike and I were gazing at this statue of George Woolf when a track employee explained the history behind the piece.  Mr. Woolf was a jockey during the 1930's and 1940's who used Santa Anita as his home base.  He was a diabetic, but because insulin had recently been discovered, he was able to manage his condition and be a jockey.  Unfortunately, Woolf fell from his mount and died while racing Santa Anita in 1946.  It is suspected that his diabetes might have caused him to have a dizzy spell and fall.     

These sculptures depicting racing contain a tribute to George Woolf.

Can you see the jockey who has fallen?

No comments:

Post a Comment