Followers

Friday, May 27, 2016

Today, I Fixed the Furnace

     Well, I didn't really fix the furnace.  I did stop the vibrating noise that was driving us crazy.  Every time the blower started we heard a loud hum.  Calling someone to disassemble our HVAC system for "a humming sound" seemed like the sort of thing dopey people with no practical skills do.  I know hot water baseboard heating, wood stoves, and window units.  This gas fired furnace and newfangled central air had me over a barrel.
     Everything you might want to know is out there on the internet.  I started googling.  The two main reasons that furnaces vibrate or hum are dirty filters or a squirrel cage that is dirty or has loose screws.  Squirrel cage?  That conjured up a picture.

A squirrel cage is the blower fan.


     I doubt I would have taken the furnace apart, but I was up to changing the filter.  Et violĂ .  No more humming.  I thought I changed the filter recently.  It was filthy, so I guess I have been lax.  So folks, change those filters at the recommended intervals.

     If you want to learn more about the innards of a furnace:

  
 



2 comments:

  1. That goes to show how some of the silliest things can cause some of the most irritating situations in life. I know that as for myself, if I'd only take the time to read the product's handbook and do what it says to do for regular maintenance, a lot of those irritating quirks would be taken care fast. Gal, good thing that's all it was.

    Jodi Bennett @ Marsh Heating

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. Thanks for reading and commenting. How did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete