Followers

Friday, February 17, 2017

WKHS - FM 90.5

     Subscribing to satellite radio doesn't make much sense to me since I'm usually in the car for 15 minute stretches.  When I do take a long road trip, I like to take CD's or my iPod.  Recently I drove to Maryland without my tunes and and ended up scanning for radio stations.  That's when I discovered Kent County High School Radio, FM 90.5, WKHS.
     WKHS is a non-commercial radio station owned by the Board of Education of Kent County High School.  The purpose of the station is to train the broadcasters of tomorrow.  The station is staffed by students while school is in session.  Community volunteers take over during the evenings.  On nights and weekends and over the summer break, the station simulcasts WXPN - 88.5 FM, public radio from the University of Pennsylvania.
     WKHS has been on the air since March 28, 1974.  That's coming up on 43 years.  The station broadcasts at 17,500 watts and can be heard from as far away as 60 miles.  I liked the mix of music.  The student DJ's (I heard three since I tuned in at the shift change) had enthusiasm and lots of personality.  The kids who read the news and sports updates could have polished their deliveries, but that's what the student radio training ground is all about.
     Thanks to WKHS and DJ Spanky for brightening up those 20 minutes I spent listening as I passed through your broadcast area.          

No comments:

Post a Comment