Followers

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Bib

One of my friends showed me a bib she used for her daughters who were born in the 1960s.  I grew up in a clan that used bibs that supplied far less coverage, so this style was new to me.  You can buy bibs with sleeves at Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Amazon for $9.99 to $12.99.  You could also whip one up out of  a half yard of scrap fabric or from a cheap, thin terry cloth towel.  Use store bought bias tape (or make your own) for the edges and the tie.  You just need the pattern.

Here's how I copied the bib to make a pattern.  We'll call this Position #1.  I placed the bib on brown paper and flattened the sleeves.  Then I traced around the bib.  You will see that I need to add the shoulder area and the backs of the sleeves.

I grabbed the sleeve seam and rolled the bib up, then traced.  We'll call this Position #2.  Then I went back to Position #1.

Next, I held the sleeve seam and rolled the bib down.  We'll call this Position #3.  I traced the rest of the sleeve area.

I added a seam allowance for the sleeve back seam.  I also folded the pattern down the center vertically and made changes so the bib would be symmetrical.   

I cut out my pattern and folded back the upper and lower sleeve areas.

Here's what we have.  After cutting out the bib from the main fabric, I would first sew the sleeve back seam.  Secondly, I would start at one neck edge and sew bias tape around the bib beginning at the shoulder on one side, moving under the sleeve seam, around the front, up the next sleeve seam, and ending at the opposite shoulder, stopping at the neck edge.  My third step would be to add bias tape to the neck edge leaving ties that are long enough make a bow at the back of the baby's neck.  The fourth and final step would be to sew bias tape to the sleeve edges.  I don't want the front pocket.  It looks cute, but who wants to dig around in a pocket to remove half chewed Cherrios?   



No comments:

Post a Comment