Followers

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Nature Abounds

     First it was turtles; now it's rabbits.  Without all the cars squashing critters trying to cross the road, my back yard is overrun with wildlife.  Mardi alerted me to the bunnies.


Did Mardi want to play or eat a snack?  

I'm sure this little guy was frightened.  The bunny must have fallen into the crawl space access well.

I turned and found this one cowering in the corner of the foundation.

     I shooed one rabbit into a bucket and took it to the woods next to the house.  The other one was more energetic, and it leaped out of the bucket.  Mardi gave chase.  I managed to get ahead of Mardi and herd this cottontail to a place where it could squeeze through a gap under the fence.  From there it disappeared under some shrubs.
     A little later, I spied an adult rabbit on patrol.  It investigated under the shrubs and went into the woods.  Since I don't normally see rabbits out in plain sight during the middle of the day*, I'm assuming Mama was hunting her wayward offspring.

*What I learned about rabbits:  Rabbits are crepuscular creatures.  That means they are active at dawn and dusk and sleep most other hours of the day.  People think rabbits are nocturnal, but that is not the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment