Followers

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Old School

     We sat at desks like this when I attended Hainesport School:

  

     I found an old school chair during my last trash picking foray.  Here's the transformation:

This is how it looked after de-cobwebbing, sanding, and removing the mismatched and rusted glides.


The layers of plywood on the seat and back were separated.  The solution was to work as much glue as possible into the cracks and clamp the layers.  The left edge of the seat had deep gouges.  That was a job for wood filler. 



I covered the wood with blue painter's tape and plastic bags.  Next, I sprayed with primer and paint.  I used brown primer for rusted metal.


I hate to spend money on these projects, but the original glides were too far gone to reuse.   


I added some letters and numbers to up the cute factor.  After painting them, I wiped the back and seat with three thin coats of gel polyurethane.

No comments:

Post a Comment