Followers

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Is It Really Ox?

      A couple of decades ago, my parents asked me if I wanted to go with them to an ox roast.  My first question was, "Is it really ox?"
     "Of course, it's ox," they said.
     "Well, what does it taste like?" was my next question.
     "Like roast beef," was the answer.  Good enough for me.  I tagged along to the Witmer Fire Protective Association ox roast, held at the firehouse in East Lampeter Township, Pennsylvania.  http://www.witmerfire.com/ox-roast.php  Going to the ox roast became one of my favorite outings with my parents, and it's now one of their legacies to me and Mike.  We've taken an assortment of friends to the event.  This past Saturday, we went with another couple.  A good time was had by all.


The meal is served family style.  It begins with juice and peaches.  Next they pass the ox, bread stuffing, potatoes, sweet corn, gravy, rolls, butter, cole slaw, cake, and ice cream.  They pass the first helping from one end of the table, then they pass the second helping from the opposite end.  



You can shop for goodies to take home while you wait to be seated.   Waits at supper time are long, so we have been going around 2:00 p.m.  Bake sale proceeds benefit the firehouse.  "English" and Amish are firehouse members and work at the ox roasts.  Amish, as a rule, don't like to be photographed, so I did my best to crop them out of these shots. 


     So, what is an ox?  It's just beef, a male bovine who has been altered.  A cow is a girl, a bull is a boy, a steer is a young, castrated male, and an ox is a mature, castrated male.  Oxen are used as work animals, and they are eaten when their career ends.
     The next ox roast will be October 19, 2013.  Take a ride to Pennsylvania Dutch Country.  Enjoy the scenery, do some shopping, and enjoy a great meal.    

No comments:

Post a Comment