Followers

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Very Specific Shade of Gray

     I just painted up a batch of four trash picked chairs.  I've noticed a lot of gray shabby chic furniture, so I mixed up a batch of gray paint.  There's nothing scientific about it.  Just dump a little black paint into the white paint.  I also added some black paint to the primer.

Here they are, sanded and ready for primer.  Some of the seats had slight splits.  I took the easy way out and filled the gaps with wood glue.   This led to a happy accident.  The glue caused the primer to crackle.  I've been paying top dollar for crackle medium.  Does glue do the same thing cheaper?  Sort of.  The glue does an okay job, but real crackle medium does a superior job.  If you use glue, use a heavy layer of glue and paint over the glue while it's still wet, painting over the glue with one brush stroke.  The results are not as good if you brush over the glue multiple times.



After priming, I painted glue on the chairs in random locations.


It's hard to see the crackle detail because the paint layers are gray paint on gray primer.  Crackle works best when the underlying layer is a contrasting color, or if it's bare wood.


I hammered a nail into each leg to raise the chair.   That allows you to paint the bottom of the legs. 


The rose stencil was free from this site: http://www.fashionfrog.com/free-stencils/stencil-053/


Here is the finished rose.  That's a little crackle on the edge of the seat.


Yard Sale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment