Followers

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Déja Vù

     I was watching some "Mad Men" DVD's yesterday, and I was transported back to a time when men were jerks, women hadn't been liberated, and we mostly listened to British popular music. Dusty Springfield's "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" ended one episode of the show.
     Dusty was a white Supreme with her big, blonde hair, eye liner, and evening gowns.  She was most popular during the mid-1960's.  I remember a handful of hit songs, then Dusty seemed to disappear.  Actually, she continued working until 1995, recording with Elton John and the Pet Shop Boys.  She also lent her voice to movies and television commercials.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1994 and died in 1999.  Her life was a tempestuous one.  She developed addictions to alcohol and drugs.  She resorted to cutting herself and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She came out as a lesbian but said, "I basically want to be straight ... I go from men to women ... I can't love a man.  Now, that's my hang-up ... They frighten me."  Her relationships with women were never stable.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusty_Springfield
     As I listened to the "Mad Men" closing, I sang along with "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me."  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NY3P1QwWw  That voice.  Wait a minute.  That voice made me think of another voice - Adele's voice.  Are Dusty Springfield and Adele just singers in the same genre, or is there something more?

Adel's "Someone Like You" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbXnLn5-7MA

     Though Adele says the Spice Girls were her biggest influence along with Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald,  I hear someone else.  Does anyone else hear it?

No comments:

Post a Comment