Followers

Monday, September 16, 2013

Blobfish, Kilroy, and Jabba the Hutt

     Many things are so ugly they are cute - pugs, for example.  My childhood bulldog Igor fell into the ugly/cute category.  Troll dolls, the rage in the late 1960's, and Cabbage Patch Kids from the 1980's were heartwarmingly unattractive.  It seems that close set eyes (either big or beady) and bulbous noses almost always bring out the ooohs and ahhhs.
     The other day the Ugly Animal Preservation Society elected the blobfish as their global mascot.  It seems that cuddly looking endangered critters like Pandas get all the attention.  The UAPS makes it their mission to bring attention to the ugliest species on the planet's endangered list.

Mr. Blobby - yes, it's a real fish.

     Wait a minute.  I think I first saw this guy in elementary school.  Some kids in my third grade class were drawing a character named Kilroy, a doodle they picked up from their WWII veteran fathers.


     I think I saw a blobfish in Star Wars.  The character was named Jabba the Hutt.  Film critic Roger Ebert called Jabba a cross between a toad and a Cheshire Cat.  Maybe, but I'm thinking there's also some blobfish in Mr. Hutt's DNA.

Jabba the Hutt

     Like I said, close set eyes and a bulbous nose, such a cutie -





No comments:

Post a Comment