Followers

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Something Out of Nothing, Part 2

     Sometimes, with a little imagination, you can turn a bunch of scraps into something nice. That's what I did recently with a bunch of half used skeins of baby yarn.  One of the ladies from my creative writing class was bound for assisted living.  She gave away her stash of yarn, and I was the recipient of the baby yarn.  The Burlington County Crochet Guild always needs 30" X 30" blankets.  Here's the finished product:

The finished product was 30" X 31" - close enough.


I made the ends match, but the rest was a free for all.


     Since this yarn is Jaime, made by Lion Brand, it has been lying around for a while.  The Jaime yarns have been discontinued since at least 2008.  I'm going to wash it before it is presented to it's new owner.  No problems since Jaime is machine washable and dryable.
     This blanket is made using (what else?) the Jaime stitch.  Here are the directions from the inside of the wrapper (along with my adjustments):

You'll need about 12 ounces of baby yarn, maybe more.  It's hard to tell when you are working with leftovers.
I used two crochet hooks - I and G.
Gauge: 4 sc + 1"  4 rows + 1"

Blanket: Ch 100 with the I hook.  Chain loosely.  After making the foundation ch, switch to the G hook for the rest of the project.  I did this to be sure the bottom edge of the blanket would be stretchy enough.  Row 1: Starting in the 4th ch from the hook work (1 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in same st *, skip 2 ch, (2 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in next st *, repeat from * to * across, end (2 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in last ch. Ch 2, turn.  Row 2: Work (1dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in first ch-sp, * work (2 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in next ch-sp *, repeat from * to * across.  Ch 2, turn. Repeat row 2 for pattern until blanket reaches the desired size (I needed a 30" square, but you might want a rectangular blanket).  End off.

Edging: Returning to ch foundation row, join yarn and insert G hook into sp between first and 2nd sts of first row and work * (ch 2, 1 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in that sp *, repeat from * to * in each ch-2 sp across the first row.  End off.

Finishing: Weave in all the loose strands.

                     (The original "Something Out of Nothing" was posted on January 13, 2013.) 

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice, generous idea. You have a long list of good deeds for credit when you reach the Pearly Gates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I seriously doubt there are Pearly Gates, I guess I'm doing it for your admiration!

    ReplyDelete