Followers

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Nom Nom

     I don't find stuffed cabbage appetizing.  Those slimey, translucent packages of rice and chopped meat never brought out the "nom-noms" in me.  Maybe it would taste delicious, if I could get it past my lips.  Then I found a recipe for unstuffed cabbage - the same ingredients, different presentation.

Unstuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 tbs. olive or canola oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1/2 small cabbage, chopped
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (8oz.)
1/2 to 1 cup water (depending on how juicy you like this dish to be)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rice
1 tsp. parsley flakes for garnish

Method:
Heat the oil in a large skillet using medium heat.  Saute the onions until tender.  Add the meat and garlic, and cook until the meat is browned.  At this point I drained off the little bit of grease that was rendered from the meat.  Add the remaining ingredients, stirring in the rice so as much as possible is submerged in the fluids.  Cover and bring to a boil, then turn the heat back so that it gently simmers.  Simmer for 25 minutes.

     Take the skillet to the table and plop it on a trivet.  Dig in.  Call it a one pot meal.  Call it an ovenless casserole.  All I can say is, "Nom, nom, nom."



No comments:

Post a Comment