Followers

Friday, October 28, 2016

Woodpecker Damage

      My April 13, 2012 blog entry was about how the woodpeckers were rat-a-tatting on the shingles.  Here's a link if you would like to check out that article:

  http://happyinhainesport.blogspot.com/2012/04/woodpecker-reveille.html

     Those redheaded nuisances show up every spring.  Each time I cleaned the rain gutters, I inspected the roof.  The damage seemed minimal - a small pea sized hole on the edge of one shingle, a couple of places where the sandy grains were pecked thin.  Okay, that's not the end of the world.
     I decided to clean out the gutters and inspect the roof this week.  Those damned birds had a field day on the garage roof.  I suppose I never heard the racket because all that pecking was not over a living space.
     Here's how I repaired the damage:

The edges of several shingles were pecked clean down to the fiberglass fibers.

I applied a layer of Black Jack All Weather Roof Cement. The product comes in a big bucket or a 10 oz. tube.  I bought the tube and dispensed it with a caulking gun.  The product is appropriate for use on tab shingles.  After squirting a glob on the shingle, I smoothed it out with a putty knife.  Since the garage roof does not face the street, I called repairs on the garage done at this point. 

The one pea sized hole (that I have ignored since 2012) was on the front roof, over the front door area.  I doubt anyone would notice a shiny, black patch, but I decided to do a more cosmetically pleasing repair here.  I used some 100% fiberglass adhesive wall repair tape.  I applied a layer of tape over and under the hole.  Then I smeared the Black Jack Cement on the mesh tape, on the top and bottom of the shingle. 

I got a brainstorm to gather the pebbles that wash off the shingles.

The gutters always have a supply of pebbles.

After sprinkling pebbles on the gooey, black patch, I pressed them in and blew away the loose grains.  It's good enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment