Followers

Friday, June 15, 2018

Deer Repellent

     The deer, or maybe it's the chipmunks, are eating my flowers and the tender new growth on my shrubbery.  I tried hanging human hair and dog hair around the feeding ground.  I also sprinkled dog poop and (I am embarrassed to reveal ) human urine around my most nibbled flower bed.  Nothing worked.
     I know someone who swears by coyote urine.  You can get an 8 ounce bottle of the stinky stuff at the Home Depot for $13.58.  I thought I would end up spending a fortune considering that the product would have to be reapplied frequently with all the rain we have been having.
     A friend gave me a recipe for homemade deer repellant that is made from garlic and hot peppers.  She says it is cheap and it works.  Here's the recipe:

     One clove of garlic
     One hot pepper (I bought a serrano pepper, the hottest one in the Shop Rite produce aisle.)
     One pint of water
     One drop of dish soap - add just before bottling
     One drop of cooking oil -add just before bottling.

     My instructions were to blend the garlic, pepper and water, then strain through a coffee filter (or two) to remove all the pulpy particles.  Pulp will clog up a spray bottle or garden sprayer, so it is important to strain out every bit of it.
     Here's where this project went off the rails.  I thought the juice might be more potent if I boiled the garlic and pepper in the 16 ounces of water before I tossed it in the blender.  Of course I cut up the pepper before cooking.  Naturally, I rubbed my nose while I waited for my witches' brew to boil for five or six minutes.  It wasn't long before the tingling started.  Still, I was undeterred.  I pulled the covered pot off the burner and lifted the lid.  I should have worn a respirator.  I coughed.  I sputtered.  My eyes watered and snot poured out of my nose.  The fumes were unbelievable.
     After the liquid cooled a bit, I pulsed it in the blender and strained it.  Then I thoroughly washed every part of my blender imagining the kick my next frozen margarita would have if I didn't get every nook and cranny clean.  As I cleaned up the kitchen counters, I made a mental note that my dish cloth and towels should be washed separately, not with pillow cases, wash clothes, underware, or any items that might touch a sensitive body part.  Maybe I'm going a little overboard, but you can't be too careful.
     I'm pretty sure this stuff is going to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment