Followers

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Dream Big, Start Small

     My friend recently mentioned in one of her emails that she has yet to find her passion.  I'm the same.  I like lots of stuff, but there is nothing in this world that I love so much that I have been driven to pursue it like my life depended on it.  As a result, I am a dabbler - Jill of all trades, mistress of none.
     Curiosity is my most pronounced character trait.  I saw a woman walking a pig in Long Bridge Park.  I marched up to her and started interviewing like I was writing an article for the Burlington County Times.  Did she like having a pig for a pet?  Do pigs enjoy walking on a leash?  How old was her pig?  Could I touch her pig?  Another time I heard a rumble and the house shook.  Since it happened only once, I knew the trembling wasn't caused by soldiers playing war games at McGuire Air Force Base.  The TV news didn't report an earthquake.  I googled like crazy for a couple of days until I discovered that there was an enormous sonic boom near Galloway, New Jersey that jiggled the southern half of our state.
     If I have something close to a passion, it is that I love to read.  Combine a love of reading and a nosy nature and you get a person who is pretty good at researching and figuring things out.  I often find that answering one query just leads to more questions.  Once I clicked so many blue highlighted words in a Wikipedia article about quinoa that I ended up learning the biological definition of lumen - the inside of a tubular space, like the inside of a vein or an intestine.
     I think that Wikipedia is a great place to start if you want to know something.  Some people say it contains too much inaccurate information, but I still like Wikipedia.
     One night I was watching a TV news magazine and I saw a segment about a gathering of Wikipedia editors.  Anybody in the whole, wide world can be a Wikipedia contributor/editor.  Anybody = Me.  I mulled this idea over for about three years.  A few months ago I created an account and a few days ago I made my first contribution.  I was watching Season 3, Episode 10 of the TV series "Billions," and I noticed the name Patti D'Arbanville in the credits.  I recognized the name from the 1989 TV series, "Wiseguy."  I remember way too much about the "Wiseguy" series because, though Chris Noth had not yet become Carrie Bradshaw's Mr. Big, I fantasized at the time that he could be mine.   I immediately looked up Patti on Wikipedia, and I noticed that her appearance on two episodes of "Billions" had gone unmentioned among her Wikipedia TV credits.  I checked out the official "Billions" series site through Showtime network.  I also went to IMDb (the Internet Movie Database) to verify all of Ms. D'Arbanville's "Billions" appearances.  Then I added the "Billions" information to the the Wikipedia article.
     Once I actually edited an article, I began to wonder about my fellow editors.  Who are they?  Well, they are mostly men.  In 2011, only 9% of global editors were women and 15% of editors in the United States were female.  Wikipedia hoped to increase its number of female contributors to 25% by 2015, but that didn't happen.  Less than 5% of women have 500 or more edits to their names.
     Dream big.  Five hundred edits.  Four hundred ninety nine to go.


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/south-jersey-sonic-boom/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(anatomy)

https://hbr.org/2016/06/why-do-so-few-women-edit-wikipedia

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/a-feminist-edit-a-thon-seeks-to-reshape-wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_D%27Arbanville

1 comment:

  1. Here's another little tidbit about Patty D'Arbanville. She was in a relationship with Don Johnson in the early 80's and they have a son together. That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw her name in the credits of Billions. You have an insatiable curiosity, and I seem to be a collector of obscure information.

    ReplyDelete