Followers

Friday, February 28, 2020

New York Botanical Garden - Orchid Show

     Orchids are pretty.  I had one once, and I killed it.  My friend informed me that her husband has a way with orchids, and she invited me to attend the display at the New York Botanical Garden.  Wow!  What a feast for the eyes it was.  After attending an informative class that was part of the show, I learned that orchids can also be a feast for the stomach.  Who knew?  Some are edible.  Enjoy the pictures.

While most orchids grow in tropical forests, some have adapted to semi-desert regions.  Here I am in the desert habitat.  Desert orchids are smaller and less colorful than their tropical cousins.





The conservatory was huge, and the display went on and on.  We went down these stairs and ...

... through this tunnel/light show to get to more orchids.


This is called the Dancing Lady Orchid.  Was this the inspiration for Belle's dress in "Beauty and the Beast?" 

These are Slipper Orchids.  We have lady's slippers or moccasin flowers growing wild in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.  They are North America's wild, native orchid.  I had one specimen growing in my woods, but building the house changed the habitat, and it died.




This is a moth orchid, named for the moth shaped petals.  I like the spots.

The conservatory covers a lot of ground.  I would like to return to the botanical garden in warm weather to see the outdoor seasonal displays.  Here's the website:
https://www.nybg.org/

     

No comments:

Post a Comment