Followers

Thursday, April 23, 2020

To Paraphrase the Rolling Stones

     I hate to get my lazy backside out of bed.  That's the way it has always been.  I'm not a morning person; however, I am a breakfast person.  The best incentive for getting up in the morning is, knowing when you turn in the night before, that a yummy breakfast awaits you.  Lately, I've rediscovered bran flakes.  Bran flakes, fat free milk, and a sliced banana make me kick off the covers and run to the kitchen.
     Three weeks ago, I noticed that the box of bran flakes was getting low.  Two weeks ago, I planned to replenish my supply on my weekly shopping excursion.  Gol dang it, the cereal aisle was empty except for a few boxes of Lucky Charms.  Even a pandemic won't make me buy those.  There was an end cap of on-sale Cheerios, but I didn't crave Cheerios.  Like a frustrated zoo animal, I paced up and down the cereal aisle and the adjoining baking aisle.  No cake mixes, no muffin mixes, no flour.  Then I spied a box of low fat, heart smart Bisquick.  I have a zucchini quiche recipe that I love that calls for low fat Bisquick, and zucchini quiche is worth getting up for.  Problem solved.  This week, the bran flakes were back.  I was tempted to buy two boxes, but we mustn't hoard.


     So, you can't always get what you want, but if you are flexible, you'll get what you need, and you might like it even more.

Zucchini Quiche

3 cups grated zucchini, skin included
1 cup low fat (heart smart) Bisquick
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. each oregano and basil, dried
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
4 tbs. chopped fresh parsley or 4 tsp. dried parley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup vegetable oil plus 1/4 water
4 large eggs 

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.  Pour into a 9" pie plate sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve and enjoy.  This warms up well in the microwave. 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment