Followers

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Ballsy

      I like rusty yard decor.  I recently saw some rusty metal balls for sale on Etsy.  I loved the balls, but hated the price.  One seller was charging $80.00 for one six inch diameter ball.  Some other sellers had more reasonably priced 1.5 inch balls, but that was too small.  I envisioned a grouping of bigger metal balls - rusty lumps of metal that wouldn't get lost under a leaf.

     Purveyors of oxidized balls obtain their stock from somewhere.  I had to find a metal ball supplier.  I found exactly what I wanted at a price I could afford at https://customironworks.com/ .   

     I spent $74.99 for five balls - 

                                      1 - 8" at $31.34

                                      1 - 6" at $16.14

                                      1 - 5" at $12.33

                                      2 - 3.75" at $7.59 each

      It took about an hour to turn the shiny, new spheres into rusty spheres.  All it takes to turn bare metal into rusty metal is to spray it down with white vinegar, let it dry in the sun, then spray it again with a mixture of eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide, one ounce of white vinegar, and one teaspoon of salt. 

I gave each ball a quick rub with 180 grit sandpaper.

The spritz of plain vinegar begins the corrosion process.

The peroxide/vinegar/salt spray bubbles and rusts on contact.

I turned the balls over and sprayed again so the rust would be even all over.

Bevy likes!


   


     

     


       

No comments:

Post a Comment