Followers

Monday, April 2, 2012

Beer and Jaeger Schnitzel

     Every March for the past several years I have taxied my three older friends to the annual German-American Cultural Society dinner dance.  My immigrant pals look forward to this outing.  They have a little wine and stuff themselves with sauerkraut, spaetzle, and red cabbage.  After dinner, they dance the night away. Of course, they polka, but they also waltz, two step, and tango.  It seems to me that every native born German has been instructed in the art of ballroom dancing.  The musical program is always provided by Willi Aust, a lone accordion playing, bi-lingual singing gentleman.  Willi has a ruddy complexion and one of the brightest smiles I've ever seen.  He'll lead the crowd in so many renditions of "Ein Prosit" (a German ditty that's kind of like chanting, " Chug, chug, chug!") that you should have a designated driver for the ride home.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2-aSbcW0s

Willi Aust



Willi and dinner chairperson, Debra White 

     The program for the night doesn't change much - they discuss a little business, get down to eating and dancing, sell some fifty/fifty tickets, and hand out some door prizes.  I like the way they open the event with the Pledge of Allegiance and close it with singing "God Bless America."  It's fun to get into cahoots with your roots and party German style, but no one has forgotten that they are American.

Me and two of my gals


     My three buddies were transplanted to U.S. soil.  It's here that they have flowered gloriously.  They are three of the most beautiful blossoms in my bouquet of friends.

     FYI - The German American Cultural Society of South Jersey is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and fostering German culture.  If you would like to learn more, call Warren Kahler, President at (856) 227-2297 or email: kahler900@comcast.net.
Dirndls and lederhosen not required for membership!

 

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo of my newly found friends as well. Thanks for posting Bev looks like you had a grand time. :)

    By the way I understand you have a few photos of Eva arriving in Europe. If possible would you email them to me. I would love to see them. On my daily walk past Johanna's house on Hooten Rodad I met up with her and she was telling me about the photos of Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna must be mistaken. I don't have any photos of Eva. I suppose we will have to wait for Eva's return to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete