Followers

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cheese and Peepperoni Dreams

     It's time for a poem.  This one is inspired by my elevated cholesterol which I try to control with a low fat diet.


I wish I had a roll with butter
Beside a quiche Lorraine,
But to avoid artery clutter
I’ll stick with just the grain.

I wish I had a chocolate shake
So thick the straw would stand,
Sometimes it seems like Eden’s snake
Will get the upper hand.

So I grill and bake and broil
When what I really want is fried,
To gain some years atop the soil
I’ll take low fat in stride.

And when those urges come for fat
When I crave cholesterol,
I’ll substitute this for that
And continue this long, long haul.


     Since I love whole grains and vegetables, it hasn't been that difficult.  Desserts are what I miss the most.  I doodled around with two of my favorite recipes and came up with a yummy, cholesterol free result.


No Crust Pumpkin Pie

1/3 cup egg white
1 - 15 oz. can solid pack pumpkin
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 - 12 oz. can undiluted evaporated skim milk

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.  Place custard cups or ramekins in a pan that has been filled with 2-3 inches of water.  Pour the pumpkin mixture into the ramekins.  Bake for 15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 425 degrees.  After 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees.  Bake an additional 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.


Carrot Cake Reworked as Carrot Muffins
(Sorry, cholesterol free cream cheese frosting is impossible)

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup egg whites
4 cups grated carrots
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Mix ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.  Pour into a muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  Baking could take longer, so check by inserting a knife near the center.  They are done when the knife comes out clean.



     I just had a delicious dessert at a friend's house.  I suppose you could call it No Crust Apple Pie.


Apple Tapioca Dessert

2 cups apple juice
1/3 cup tapioca
1/2 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup white and 1/4 cup brown)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 small, tart apples, peeled and sliced

Spray large baking dish with Pam and set aside.  Mix water, tapioca, sugar, and salt in a pot.  Bring to a boil and cook according to the directions on the tapioca package.  When the tapioca is cooked, mix in the sliced apples.  Pour apple tapioca mixture into the baking pan.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

     Granted, none of these are low-cal foods, but they will fill the void that you used to fill up with bacon, cheese omelettes, and ice cream.   




No comments:

Post a Comment