Followers

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Boo!

     I'm all out of ideas this year, but I threw a fun Halloween luncheon last October.  The food was standard fare - no eye of newt or slimy stuff.  The decorations were dollar store chic.

Dollar store ravens and rubbery bats hung with fishing line added that certain something to the dining room fixture.

I wrapped old wine bottles with strips of  fabric to "mummify" them.  Those glue on eyeballs are fun. We kept it non-alcoholic and drank mulled cider. The black goblets are from the dollar store.  You can't really see the centerpiece.   It's a bunch of dead silk  roses from the clearance bin at Michael's.  I had to pay full price for a big black and silver bow.  Darn it!   

     Mulled Cider - I heated up a half gallon of cider, added a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon, about a teaspoon of ground cloves, and a teaspoon of ground nutmeg.  I added a sliced up orange and simmered for about 20 minutes.  When it cooled to the point of being nice and warm, I transferred it to the wine bottles.

I bought the black sheer fabric with flocked bats at Joann.  I layered it over a beige table cloth. I made the purple napkins from 100% cotton, also from Joann.  I had 40% off coupons, of course.

     Halloween is the one time of year I can let my true nature out.


     It was a little toil, not much trouble, and a really fun afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment