Followers

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dumela, Mma

     Dumala, mma.  Or, "Good morning, sister."  That's the traditional greeting used when you approach a lady in Botswana.  For a man, it's, "Dumela, rra."   
     I've been reading the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith.  The books are entertaining, relaxing to read, and full of information about a country the characters consider to be the best place on earth .  There are thirteen books in the series.  I'm on the third, so I have many hours of reading ahead of me.  HBO and BBC made a television series out of the books.  Those DVD's are available at the library.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies'_Detective_Agency
     I went to Botswana a few years back.  I spent nine days living in fancy tents and going out at dawn and dusk to look at wild animals.    I had a fantastic time, but I wasn't exposed much to the local culture.  I didn't even have a mug of bush tea, the drink that Lady Detective Precious Ramotswe enjoys so much.  One night we had pumpkin for one of our dinner sides, though.
     Here are some pictures of my adventure:

The Okavango Delta

This is a termite mound.  And you thought termites were a problem in New Jersey.

Elephants sharpen their tusks on the trunks of bilbao trees.
  
I admit it.  The lion sitting next to the back wheel made me a little nervous.

An Elephant at Brunch


What if you have to pee?  You tell your guide that you need to check the tire.  After squatting behind the vehicle, you put your used tissue in a zip lock and take it back to the toilet in camp. 

He'll need a couple of his homies to take down a camp buffalo.

That's all folks.

Good night.
     This was a once in a lifetime adventure.  Mma Ramotswe and Alexander McCall Smith make me want to go back to experience the real Botswana, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment