Followers

Friday, October 19, 2012

Yes, Master

     If you read yesterday's blog entry, you know I don't read my Bible.  Rachel Held Evans has been reading the Good Book.  She decided to live for one year according to the Bible's rules for women.  She blogged about it.  Then she turned the blog into a book.  http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/rachel-held-evans-woman-living-slideshow/-photo-2524083-181000106.html#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Frachel-held-evans-woman-living-slideshow%252F-photo-2524073-181000767.html
     Ms. Evans, a self proclaimed liberated woman, says she performed a lot of "crazy stunts" during her year long experiment.  In the end though, she says she really wanted to get at how we interpret and apply the scriptures.  Some of her stunts included:
          1) Not cutting her hair for the entire year
          2) Sewing her own clothes
          3) Setting up a jar into which she deposited pennies whenever she gossiped, nagged, complained, or engaged in anything other than polite conversation
          4) Sitting on the roof of her house for one minute for every infraction that caused her to put a penny into the jar
          5) Sleeping in a tent during her monthly period
          6) Learning how to celebrate and cook for the Jewish holidays
          7) Ordering a mechanical baby (Ms. Evans is childless) in order to explore the Bible's directions for motherhood
          8) Addressing her husband as "Master"
          9) Holding a sign proclaiming her husband as "awesome" as she stood on a highway at the entrance to her town
     Evidently, that hair issue sure is a big deal with God and man.  Shortly after Mike and I got married, I cut my hair.  Mike begged for me to grow it back.  Since, in my case, short hair was a lot more work than long hair, Mike got his wish.  I sewed my clothes in high school, but these days, it's cheaper to go to Kohl's.  There wouldn't be enough pennies in my change purse to feed a penny jar.  I'm pretty good at keeping gossiping and nagging to a minimum, but swearing and complaining occur quite frequently.  I wouldn't have a problem standing on the corner of Rt. 38 and the Rt 541 By-Pass holding a sign proclaiming Mike awesome.  It is what it is.  I don't know about addressing Mike as "Master."  He might laugh it off.  But what if he gets a fifty-shades-of-grey kick out of it?

      
   
   
     

2 comments:

  1. MASTER?? OF WHAT I'M NOT SURE. I'LL BE LOOKING FOR YOU ON RTE 38

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will have to wait till spring. It's starting to get cold now.

    ReplyDelete