Followers

Friday, January 25, 2013

Excuses and Lies

     I think the excuses start as soon as we learn to talk.  One of the earliest seems to be dodging bedtime.  Kids have to have another sip of water, go the the bathroom one more time, give or receive another kiss.  It's all crap.  They just want to stay up later.  It goes from bedtime to homework.  That seems to be the next milestone in prevarication.  The standard my dog ate it has changed to reflect the times.   Now kids are saying, "The printer ran out of ink," or, "I left it at my Mom's house when she took me back to my Dad's house."  Maybe the best one is, "It accidentally got shredded when we tested the new paper shredder."  Maybe adults make the most excuses about why they are late for work (My alarm didn't go off.  I hit too many red lights.  I had car trouble.)  or why they can't lose weight (Exercise is boring.  I don't have time to work out.  I'm too tired.)  I read about an excuse for being late for work that turned out to be true - someone in Alaska couldn't get to the car because there was a moose in the way.  I suppose Garden Staters could claim a skunk is in the way.
     Do you know how you hear a song on the radio, but you don't listen to the words?  The other day, I finally listened to the lyrics of "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" by Train.  It could be a collection of Manti Te'o excuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGzlMD4KM04      

No comments:

Post a Comment