Followers

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mitered Corners

     I found some cotton fabric printed with ants.  I thought it would be fun to have ant covered napkins - great for outdoor, summer meals.  Making napkins provides the perfect opportunity to learn how to miter corners.  I wanted 18" square napkins, so I cut 19-1/2" square pieces of fabric. The edges were turned over twice making 3/8" seams all the way around.  I used 2-1/4 yards of fabric to make eight napkins.

I  bought two different prints.

Turn the edges under 3/8" and press.  Turn them under 3/8" again and press.

A closer  view.

Open the fabric up.  The crease lines will look like this.  Cut on the top dotted line.  Fold on the bottom dotted line.

After cutting and folding, your corner should look like this.  The first corner fold should line up with the first side edge fold.

Turn down the second side edge fold and your corner should form a miter.  A little fiddling should make it perfect for pressing.  Sew around all four sides, staying close to the edge of the fabric.

There you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment