Followers

Monday, July 29, 2013

Dead Ant, Dead Ant, Dead-Ant-Dead-Ant-Dead-Ant

     Sing this entry's title to the tune of the "Pink Panther" theme.  Or you can sing it to this guy's guitar solo:

 

     I wrote about ants in two window sills on Tuesday, July 23rd.  We baited, and they disappeared.  We continued to bait, and started to see piles of what looked like dismembered ant corpses in one sill.  We read that ants throw the deceased out of their nests.  The nest had to be around the sill, but where?
     We got the answer on Saturday.  Mike was washing the siding, so we took out the screens.  I started washing the screen from the graveyard sill, and ants began pouring out of a slot in the screen's metal frame.  I ran for the spray while Mike tap danced on the scurrying ants.  Along with the spray, I brought a screw driver.  I pried the slot apart and saw lots of ants heading for the exit and eggs coming along with them.  We filled the hole with insecticide (goodbye, Queenie), then folded the screen in quarters when there were no more signs of life.  We deposited the screen in a contractor's garbage bag that was well sprayed on the inside and around the closure.  Some might say that was overkill, but we like to err on the side of caution.  The bag is in our trash can which has been rolled away from the house (more caution).
   
  

       Needless to say, we checked out the rest of the screens - no ants, though.  I have a few specimens, and I'm calling the agriculture extension on Monday.  I'd like to identify what species of pests we have.  I also have to go shopping for a new screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment