Followers

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Craigslist Experience

     Have you seen the Subaru TV commercial featuring a young couple using their car to have new experiences?  They catch falcons, experience log rolling, and eat bugs - all things they enjoyed. They also visit a hot spring and encounter and old hippy who is eager to strip down, jump in, and give shoulder massages - "shouldn't have done that."


   
     "Shouldn't have done that" sums up my recent Craigslist experience.  Craigslist is successfully used by millions of people in 50 different countries.  Leave it to me to have a completely unsatisfactory foray into Craigsville.  I used the site both to buy and to sell.  Here's how it went.
     I posted two requests in the items wanted section.  First, I asked for delicate china tea cups, no saucers necessary, complete sets not necessary - just mismatched odds and ends.  My plan was to fill the cups with a wicks and wax to create candles.  There were no responses, so it's back to the thrift shop for me.  Next, I asked for a bar stool with a 30" high seat.  I got one response from someone who said they had a bar stool, but couldn't send a picture (why not?).   This person was extremely eager for me to drive a long distance to see the phantom bar stool and their many other items up for sale.
     I had an assortment of items for sale, things that didn't move at my last yard sale.
       
          Epson printer ink - no bites.
          Luggage - no interest.
          Pendant lights with matching chandelier - one taker for pendants only - at much less than asking price.
          Cradle and rocking chair - two offers from foreigners trying to suck me into check cashing scams.
          Tool boxes - the first buyer never showed up/ I rejected the second candidate after a Google search turned up a person of the same name, from the same town who was arrested for involvement with drug sales.

     There are lots of articles out there that will educate newbies in how to safely use Craigslist.  Read all of them and be guided accordingly:

http://www.denverpost.com/smart/ci_20605127/how-be-safe-craigslist-precautions

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/online-auction-info/1213574/

http://lifehacker.com/5915608/how-can-i-avoid-getting-screwed-when-selling-on-craigslist

http://www.localnews8.com/news/Scam-Alert-Craigslist-buyer-tries-to-get-money-from-seller/-/308662/18116818/-/uaeaw3z/-/index.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/craigslist-buying-and-selling-60858

     As for me, I'm donating the yard sale leftovers to the Virtua Thrift Shop.  I still want a bar stool and some tea cups, though.




               
   


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bev, there is a site I found that is for items to get rid off and things wanted. No money exchanged, it's freecycle.org. Try it. Good luck. Gail H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm going to check it out right now.

    ReplyDelete