Followers

Monday, October 21, 2013

Zion National Park

     Zion National Park is located near Springdale, Utah.  A public highway runs through the park, so we were stopped, warned to keep moving, and sent on our way.  It was kind of like a Great Adventure safari experience.

This area was named Mukuntuweap National Monument in 1909.  The name was changed to Zion in 1918. 

Driving through the rock.  The Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel along this road in the park is 1.1 miles long.  Because the tunnel goes through sandstone, it is prone shifting and collapse.  The tunnel has been reinforced with concrete ribs.  Because of a 1958 collapse, the tunnel is electronically monitored 24 hours per day.   

Bighorn sheep.  A herd of these guys hang out in the same spot, posing for tourists.  We drove through the park five times, and they were there each time.  I think they are on the payroll. 


 

2 comments:

  1. Love the travelogue, Bev. My son and I didn't make it to Zion, but had a wonderful time at Bryce Canyon. So beautiful. And I agree with you completely about the animals that are required to do shifts posing for tourists. How else do you explain my seeing a moose in Moose, WY....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, great to hear from you. I never found the burros at Valley of Fire that I was forbidden to feed. Obviously, they have a better union.

    ReplyDelete