Followers

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Hats Off to Homemade Spray Starch

     It's really important to stay out of the sun.  Besides using sun screen, it's a good idea to cover up and wear a broad brimmed hat.  My cute raffia hat got wet, and the brim lost it's stiffness. Would spray starch restore the hat?  Can raffia (paper) be starched?  Since the hat was already a lost cause, I decided to give spray starch a try.
     The problem was that the can of spray starch and the bottle of liquid starch that I thought I had were gone.  I probably threw the stuff out long ago since I never starch anything.  I decided to look online for a homemade starch recipe.  There couldn't be a simpler concoction to make - just a heaping tablespoon of corn starch and 16 ounces of hot water shaken vigorously.  Pour the mixture in a spray bottle.  Spray the item you wish to starch and iron with a hot steam iron.
     Here's how it worked on my floppy hat:

Droopy!

I sprayed and ironed the inside.  I put an old dish towel under the hat to keep the starch off the ironing board cover. 

I sprayed and ironed the outside.

No gunk on the bottom of the iron - that's good.

I left the hat on the counter to dry overnight.

Nice and crisp - almost as good as new.

Yep, it'll do.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment