Followers

Monday, July 14, 2014

My Cell Phone Went Through a Wash Cycle!

     After a bike ride and some sweaty yard work, I tossed my clothes into the washer then headed for the shower.  After my shower, I moved the clothes from the washer to the dryer and found my cell phone in the bottom of the tub.  The screen was full of water droplets.  It was dead.  After much swearing and self recrimination, I went to the Verizon store and explained my plight. The Verizon representative suggested placing the phone in rice to dry it out.  In the meantime, I activated an old phone.
     I removed the back panel from my phone and took out the battery.  I opened the little flaps on the side of the phone (where the charger and other stuff connects).  I loosened a bunch of itty-bitty screws, but I didn't remove the screws or try to pry the phone apart.  I buried all the parts in a big bowl of rice and left the bowl in our stifling hot garage.  The lady at the Verizon store recommended drying the phone for a couple of days.  Since I had a backup phone, I left my phone in the rice for a week or more.
     When I took the phone out of the rice, the screen was clear.  I tightened the screws and replaced the battery and back panel.  I attached the charger and plugged in the phone.  Amazing. It began to charge.  When the phone was fully charged, I trotted back to the Verizon store and activated my now functioning phone.
     Since this experience, I have learned there are other methods for drying out wet phones.  This guy says you can dry a phone in a few minutes by sucking out the water with a vacuum cleaner.  It sounds like a good way to get a hand hickey to me.


         

     Another guy also uses the vacuum cleaner method and adds centrifugal force.  Then he adds the rice method combined with a product called Damp-Rid.  Finally, he details the alcohol method (though he has not actually submerged his phone his phone in a 99% alcohol bath).




     So, before you run out and buy a new phone, give these things a try.  Also, keep an old phone as a back up.  The last Verizon rep who helped me explained that I can switch my service from phone to phone by dialing *228.  Select option #1 and follow the prompts.  The next time I soak my phone, and there's bound to be a next time, I won't have to run into the store for help.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment