Followers

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Vacation Local - Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton, New Jersey - Part 2

     The Grounds for Sculpture is hosting a special exhibition by Boaz Vaadia, an Isreali sculptor.  Vaadia's words are posted on a wall:

     "I truly believe artwork does not exist without the viewer.  As an artist you have to let it go - something happens that you are not a part of anymore and that is totally unique to the person viewing it.  When I see a person looking at my work, it's quite amazing to me to see the different reactions of each individual ...  When a viewer faces a piece of artwork, they bring all that is inherent in them, and my work creates a certain catalyst they react to - this exchange is really where I think a work of art exists."

     I suppose this means Mr. Vaadia won't be upset if he ever reads about the reactions Mike and I had to his work.  
     Much of Vaadia's work is made from salvaged material.  Earlier pieces used hair, branches, rope, and leather.  These pieces are all untitled.  We had a field day thinking up names.  

This is a rock draped in hair.  Mike decided it should have been called "Moe" after one of the Stooges.

Hmmm, let's see.  This reminds me of that 1960s toy Clackers.  Then again, they appear to be made of brass.  They are kind of droopy and come in a pair.  Oh, I don't know.  What would you call this?  

My first reaction - this should be hitched up to a team of sled dogs.

My reaction to this and the piece that follows:
Are two enough?

Are three too many?
Does anyone besides me remember that question from an old laxative commercial?

Mike and I prefer Vaadia's stacked stone sculptures.  The stones are recycled building material - roof slates, tiles, window sills,  I'm a sucker for anything with a dog in it.

He looks relaxed.

I got an uneasy feeling that this poor soul was waiting for a sword to lop off his head.

        Creating art out of stacked stones has its challenges.  Stones are heavy.  Assembling the figure is a balancing act.  Chipping away at the edges of each layer is time consuming.  I would suggest giving it a go with cardboard if you want to make something in this style.

DeseƱo Cartonero or "Garbage Collector Design" is the work of Argentinian artist Santiago Morahan.  He purchases materials from scavengers, giving them higher prices than they would receive at the recycling facility.
 
   


No comments:

Post a Comment