Followers

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Eighth Grade Dance

     How about those high school kids who ended up in the water when the pier they stood on to take prom pictures collapsed?  Since no on was hurt, it's all good, and it's all funny.  http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/promo-photo-disaster-pier-collapses-during-prom-pictures.html
     I didn't go to my high school prom (boo hoo), but I did go to my eighth grade dance.  Check out theses pics.

Front from left: Claudia Smith, Debby Mushinski, Pat Symczyk
Back: Joyce Luethy

Our Band - Scott and the Generations
Left - Larry McIntyre
Right - Scott Dunlop

Larry Schemelia
     Thanks, Paul Taylor, for asking the tallest girl in the class to dance.

     What are junior high dances like these days?  I haven't got a clue, but that didn't stop me from writing what follows.  If anyone knows an eighth grader, maybe I could get some feedback on this:

      “Tiffany!  Tiffany!  It’s Brittany.  I’m over here.”
     “Hi, Brit.  Sorry I’m late.  My mother had to take my stupid brother to the mall.  You look hot.  I love the shirt.”
     “Thank you.  Do you think anyone will notice?”
     “Do you mean anyone in general or someone in particular, as in Mason McKinley?”
     “I might be thinking about Mason.  He’s such a babe.  Is he here?”
     “Haven’t seen him.  But if he does come, he’ll be with Mary Alice, you know.” 
     “I know.  I know.  The biggest stud muffin in the whole school will be with the foxiest girl.”
     “I don’t know why you waste your time drooling over him.  The boys say Mary Alice is a ten.  You’re like a seven and a half.  He’s not going to dump her for you.”
     “You never know.  And, besides, I’m an eight tonight in this shirt.”
     “Whatever.”
     “Oh, look.  There’s Allen Jameson.  He’s a total Greek god.”
     “Till he opens his mouth.  He’s as dumb as dirt.  You know Brit, ‘beauty is only skin deep’.”
         “Listen to you, quoting your grandmother.  You forgot the rest of it: ‘Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the bone’!”
     (Giggles)
     “Speaking of ugly, Jennifer is over there waving at us.”
     “Not just ugly… double ugly…double dog ugly.”
     “Bow-wow.”
     (Giggles)
     “Coyote ugly.”
     (More giggles)
     “We shouldn’t be so mean.  Let’s just call her comfy.”
     “Yeah, like my fat aunt’s run-down, old shoes.”
     (Fits of giggles)
     “She’s still waving.”
     “Smile, then turn your head.  That way she’ll know that she shouldn’t come over.  No one cute will come near us if she’s around.”
     “Oh, my God!  Justin Emmons is headed our way.  He has got to be the most babelicious guy in the whole school.  Do I need more lip gloss?”
     “It’s too late for that now.  You can’t start smearing it on when he’s walking toward you.”
     “Oh, my God.”
     “Get a grip, Tiff.”
          “Oh, my… Justin!  Hi!”
     “Hi, Tiff.  Hi, Brit.  Have you seen Max and the guys?”
     “They were at the snack table a minute ago.”
     “Thanks.  See you around.”
     “At least we spoke.”
     “It was like two hearts beating as one.  I could feel the electricity between the two of you.”
     “Shut up, Brittany.  My mom says boys aren’t good at expressing themselves at this age.”
     “Listen to you, quoting your mom.”
     “I said shut… Oh, no.  Here comes Gary Peirson.  He’s such a troll.”
     “Yup, his kind are rare.  He’s going to ask you to dance.”
     “There’s no way I can do that.  I’d have to put a bag over his head.”
     “Paper or plastic?”
     “Hi, Tiffany.”
     “Hi, Gary.”
     “Would you like to dance, Tiffany?”
     “Well, I was kind of waiting for someone.  He’s not here, yet.  It wouldn’t look good if he came in and saw me dancing with someone else.”
     “Oh, go on, Tiff.  He’ll understand.  Enjoy yourself.  Dance with Gary.”
      “Let’s go, Tiffany.  I’ll dance with you next, Brittany.  I hope it’ll be a slow one.”
       

No comments:

Post a Comment