Followers

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Nothing New Under the Sun

     Yesterday, I lamented the fact that I can't come up with an original idea.  Today, I'm reminded that there isn't anything new under the sun.  A Yahoo news article touts bartering as a smart, penny pinching tactic in today's tough economy.  They say the "age-old way to save money is making a big comeback."  http://news.yahoo.com/bartering--an-age-old-way-to-save-money.html  Come on, guys.  Bartering, like coupon clipping and hand-me-downs, has always around.  It's a new concept only to the twenty-somethings (or thirty-somethings), who have finally moved out of their parents' house, and have to figure out how to make ends meet.
     I first learned about bartering from my mother and Mount Holly's radio station WJJZ (1460 AM).  The station hosted an afternoon show called Buy, Trade, and Sell.  Listeners called in to explain what they wanted to purchase, swap, or unload and they left a phone number.  My mother divested herself of the crib used by her three babies and the chickens that were my science project with the help of WJJZ.
     The women of my generation, the ones who thought we could have it all, put our own special twist on bartering.  Working woman are swappping babysitting services, car pooling the kids to activities, and even dinner preparation.  I have a tough time imagining that meal swaps work with picky eaters, those with allergies, vegans, and gluten frees popping up everywhere.
     My first experience with the barter system occurred in college.  "Juicy Brucie," a friend from Rutgers, claimed stupidity when it came to doing his laundry.  Each week, he dropped off his clothes, a box of Tide , and a pile of quarters.  Figuring that hot water and detergent would kill the Bruce germs (just like they killed the Dad germs at home), I threw our stuff together, getting my wash done for free.
     The challenging thing about bartering is that it has to be a win-win.  Everybody has to be happy with the arrangement.  And then there are the tax implications.  Bartering can be taxable.  Check out this info from the IRS.  http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html  That being said, I won't tell if you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment