Followers

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Copy Cat Mickey Gilley's Vegetarian Chili

     I  cook vegetarian entrées when my veg friends come for lunch.  I decided to try to reproduce the vegetarian chili I had at Mickey Gilley's Restaurant in Las Vegas.  The menu listed some of the ingredients.  I identified several other ingredients as I ate.  The rest of it, I would have to improvise.

Mickey's Chili

     This is my version:
          2 Carrots - I julienned, you could dice.
          1 Medium Onion, chopped
          2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
          1 Large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
          2 Medium, Green Long Hot Peppers, chopped - Remove the seeds and disgard.
          1 Can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
          1 Can Pink Beans, rinsed and drained
          1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
          3- 14-1/2 ounce (by weight) Cans of Vegetable Broth
          2 - 14-1/2 ounce (by weight) Cans of Diced Tomatoes - I used Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes with no extra seasonings.
          1-1/2 Tsp. Cumin Seeds
          1/2 Tsp. Ground Cumin
          1/8 Cup + 1 Tbs. Chili Powder
          1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
          2 Cloves Garlic, minced
          2 Tbs. Flour
          Canola or Olive Oil

     Pour some oil into a big pot and heat.  Add carrots, onion, celery, red and green peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes.   Add vegetable broth and tomatoes and stir.  Add the beans and stir.  Add the spices and garlic and stir again.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Get a small container with a lid.  Put the flour in the container, add about 4 ounces of cold water and shake the living daylights out of it. Pour this liquid thickener into the chili. Stir constantly as the chili gently bubbles.  You might have to turn up the heat a tad.  Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.  Your chili is done, but you might want to serve it the next day.  Dishes like this always taste better the next day.
     I served my chili with brown rice and corn muffins.  You could add saltines, tortilla chips, shreaded cheese, or sour cream.  My friend brought iced tea flavored for the Christmas season.  In addition to the regular tea bags, she added one Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea bag.  So much better than the beer I had with my original Gilley's chili!
     Try this one.  It's yummy.

My Chili with Brown Rice, Mini Corn Muffins, and Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Iced Tea

   

         
       

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try making it with the pink beans, instead of the garbanzo beans I added to my last batch. Your seasonings sound good, too. I'll use your recipe the next time I make vegetarian chili, Bev. And the cornbread muffins sound really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes one want to give up eating flesh...almost.

    ReplyDelete