Followers

Friday, January 5, 2018

Beaded Bookmarks

     Once upon a time, I thought I might like to get into beading.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I hated itty bitty things that had the potential to roll away or bounce off in every direction.  I wasn't particularly adept at stringing things on thread, wire, fishing line, or stretchy elastic string.  The items you need to turn beads into jewelry - clasps, jump rings, earwires, head pins, crimp beads - are expensive.  A finished necklace or bracelet made from glass spheres and some sort of base metal can easily cost more than a tasteful item wrought in 920 silver.
     I recently saw some bookmarks made from beads and beading thread.  This seemed like an good way to use up some of the beading supplies I had stored away in a plastic bin.
     I used C-Lon Tex 400 bead cord.  This is a heavy weight cord that works well for bookmarks.  I used any combination of beads from my stash that looked pretty when strung together.  This is some of what I produced:

I cut some bead cord about 14" long, maybe a little longer.  I dipped the ends in clear nail polish and hung the strings to dry.  Once the ends were dry, I used some really sharp scissors to cut the tips on an angle.  This cutting produced a sharp point that was stiff from the nail polish, a sort of self beading needle.  I strung a few beads on each end, knotting them at the top and bottom to keep them in place.  

See how the knots work?  I'm sorry that the enlargement is blurry.

I had a package of puffy hearts, so I created the "Heart Collection."  That sounds almost nice enough to sell at Jared.

I also had a package of fish beads.  I don't know whether to call this bunch the "Beach Collection" or the "Ichthus Collection."    

This is a pretty way to mark your place when you read a real book.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment