Followers

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Ruffled Crochet Scarf

     This is the latest:



     I found a free pattern on  Mama in a Stitch.

https://www.mamainastitch.com/merino-crocheted-ruffle-scarf-pattern/

     Mama'a pattern uses an H (#8 or 5 mm) hook and Lion Brand Yarn Superwash Merino Wool.  Her scarf is long, nice and drape-y, and has a nice hippy vibe.  My wool stash is mostly Caron One Pounders and Red Heart Super Saver 100% acrylic.  You use what you have on hand.
     I worked up Mama'a pattern, following it to the letter, using the H hook and my 4 ply, worsted weight yarn.  By the time I was half way done, my scarf was bulky and a little stiff, and it had grown in length as I worked on the 198 original chains to about eight feet in length.  This was going to be too much scarf. 
     I pulled out all my work and started over, making two changes to Mama's pattern.  My scarf doesn't have that bohemian look, but it is warm, and it used up one 8 ounce skein of surplus yarn. 
     If you want to make a scarf like mine with 4 ply, worsted weight yarn, use the link above and follow Mama's pattern making these two changes:

     1. Use a J (#10 or 6 mm) hook.  The bigger stitches are more open, and the scarf is softer.
     2. Chain 156 to begin.  If I made this scarf again, I might make the starting chain a little longer, maybe 160 chains.

     Thank you, Mama!     

No comments:

Post a Comment