Followers

Monday, January 22, 2018

One Hour Slippers

     Three sofas ago, I thought I would knit a complicated, Aran looking, cabled afghan for snuggling when watching TV.  I bought a black trash bag full of peach colored yarn (yeah, I know Aran knits are beige shades), and promptly lost interest in the project.  What to do with 40 skeins of yarn?
     I found a tutorial for slippers on YouTube.  Supposedly, you can crochet a pair in one hour.  I made a change which probably slowed me down.  My peach yarn is 4 ply, worsted weight, not the bulky yarn recommended in the tutorial, so I used two stands of yarn.  It took a little care to manage both strands on my hook.  I finished a pair of slippers in two hours.  I probably could have finished faster if I hadn't also been watching television as I worked.

You get slippers, you get slippers, you get slippers!
I probably have enough yarn to outfit every Hainesport resident in peach colored slippers.

     Besides working two strands of yarn together, I made two more changes to the pattern.  I started with a magic ring so that I could pull the first round closed.  Working 10 double crochet stitches into a chained ring often results in a hole in the project.  The magic ring is a technique that lets you pull a strand of yarn to cinch up that opening.  I also made the slippers a little shorter/smaller.  Follow the video for rounds 1, 2, and 3.  Instead of continuing and making 8 more rounds (total of 11 rounds), I made only 6 more rounds (total of 9 rounds).  Then I worked the rest of the slipper according to the directions in the tutorial.  Reducing the length by 2 rounds resulted in slippers that fit the size 9½ to 10 foot nicely.  That's if you insert bare feet.  I would add back a round if you wear slippers plus socks.  You can adjust the size for any foot by reducing or increasing after round 3 and before you begin shaping where your foot goes in the slippers. 


Here's the tutorial if you would like to make your own cozy footwear:






Here's how to make a magic ring:


No comments:

Post a Comment