Followers

Friday, June 15, 2012

Flip Flops

     If you think I'm crafty, you should meet my friend Lucy.  She's the craftiest person I know.  Recently, she taught me how to embellish flip flops.  Instead of paying $20.00 or $30.00 for jazzy flops at a boutique, you can buy a pair for $2.50 at Target and make them unique using, at most, $3.00 worth of ribbon and ready made bows.  It's easy and fun.
     I purchased an assortment of flops in different sizes and colors.  I went to the dollar store first.  I found that their flip flops for children were sturdy, a good value, but the adult flops were flimsy.  I found better quality flip flops at Target for $2.50 and at Walmart for $2.28.  Any craft store has ribbon and a variety of bows, flowers, and other items to pretty up your project.
     I found a very good video which demonstrates how to make a military braid, the style of braid I used.  The video shows how to decorate flip flops or a hairband with military braids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGB_Owt_9g

     Here's my first attempt.

This is the finished braid.  It is about 12 inches long, but I needed only 11 inches for the flip flops.

You attach the braid with a really strong, stinky glue called E6000.  I used clothes pins to hold things in place overnight.

These are the finished flops.  I used a glue gun to add the flower.

     These flip flops look nice, but I made a couple of mistakes that I will correct in the future.  First, I will be more accurate with the length of my braid.  With all the edge sealing and gluing, a finished braid is difficult to unbraid and shorten.  Next, I will be neater when I glue the braid to the straps.  The E6000 that oozed out stiffened the ribbon.  I hope that doesn't rub the wearer's foot.
     So, give it a try.  If you really goof up your project, all is not lost.  Check out this video of alternative uses for flip flops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFj1iwcL6m0
       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment