Followers

Monday, June 4, 2012

Pillow Fight

     Yesterday, June 3, 2012, was National Cancer Survivor's Day.  It's nice that someone designated June 3rd as the official day, but every day is Survivor's Day if you have had cancer.  At least that is what some survivors have told me.
     Cancer treatment can be grueling.  Chemotherapy and radiation can leave patients nauseated and exhausted.  The couch becomes their best friend.  I have a little project that I like to do if someone I know is diagnosed with cancer.  There are lots of ways to fight cancer.  I call my project The Pillow Fight.
     First, I go to the store and select a big, fluffy pillow.  Next, I go to Joann Fabric (armed with coupons, of course) and I select a bunch of 100% cotton fabrics.  I pick fabrics based on upcoming holidays, the recipients interests, favorite colors, or just whatever is pretty.  I start out by sending the pillow, one pillow case, and an explanation of what I am doing.  Thereafter, I send a pillow case once or twice per month.  I package the pillow cases in a zip lock bag.  I tie a ribbon around the case, and I attach a big tag with a picture and a quote.  For example, one friend joked that her summer vacation would be spent at the hospital in Philadelphia.  I found a fabric printed with images of the Eiffel Tower.  I also found a quote from model Tyra Banks, "I haven't seen the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre.  I haven't seen anything.  I don't really care."  That seemed to sum things up!
     There are cat fabrics purr-fect for pet lovers, fabrics with musical notes for music lovers, and fabrics featuring all kinds of foods or hobbies.  I've scanned pretty, floral fabrics to make a note card to match the pillow case.  Just try to personalize the fabric for it's the recipient, keep it light, and keep it positive.
     Here's how I make the cases:

Pillow Case Instructions
Buy one yard of 45” fabric.  Make sure you get the full yard.  Don’t allow them to cut on an angle causing you to be a little short on one side.

Wash the fabric.  It removes chemicals and sizing added during the manufacturing process.  It also removes any dust, dirt, or germs picked up in the store from customer’s handling the bolt or the bolt being left on a dirty surface.

With the right sides together (print on the inside) fold fabric in half (selvage edges go together - that means the side edges, not the cut edges).  It probably would be a good idea to press your fabric once folded in half.

Cut the fabric on the fold.

You are working on the wrong side of the fabric.  Seam allowances are 5/8”.  You might want to pin your seams first.  Sew one side seam.  Sew the top seam.  Sew the remaining side seam.  Press the side seams open. 

You are still working on an inside-out pillow case.  Turn the open edge under ½” and press.  Turn the open edge up again 4” and press.  Pin the hem in place.  Sew the hem close to the edge.

Turn the pillow case right side out.  You’re done.

There is a pillow case project aimed toward children stricken with cancer.  It's called ConKerr Cancer.  Check out their website.  http://conkerrcancer.org/home/

One of my Burlington County Board of Social Services coworkers was my inspiration for The Pillow Fight.  She was being treated for cancer when she heard about making pillow cases for kids with cancer.  She set a goal to make 100 pillow cases.  She reached and exceeded her goal before she lost her battle.  

So, stitch up a brightly colored pillow case, stuff in a pillow, and start swinging until the feathers fly in the face of cancer.   


     

No comments:

Post a Comment