Followers

Friday, August 17, 2012

Did Somebody Say, "Treat?"

     We all have our price.  You can buy Mardi with a dog treat.  It can be anything from a Milk Bone to a string bean,  as long as it's identified as "treat."  Last month Mardi celebrated her one year anniversary with us.  I decided to bake some homemade dog biscuits.  It was easy to find recipes on the internet.  A particularly good site is http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes.htm.  I made Fido's Favorite Treats, but I altered the recipe a little bit.

1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup margarine or butter  (I used canola oil to cut down on sodium.)
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons chicken or beef instant bullion  (I used some sodium free chicken broth.)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese  (I didn't have any cheddar, so I used provalone.  I'm pretty sure that dogs think any cheese is good).
1 egg beaten
2 cups white or wheat flour

     Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease cookie sheets.  In a large bowl combine oats, margarine, and water.  Let stand ten minutes.  Stir in corn meal, sugar, bullion, milk, cheese, and egg.  Mix well.  Add flour 1/2 cup at at time, mixing well after each addition, to form a stiff dough.
     On floured surface, knead until dough is smooth and no longer sticky, 3 to 4 minutes.  Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut with cookie cutter.  Place one inch apart on cookie sheets.
     Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely.  I left mine in the oven with the door shut until the oven was cold.  Store loosely covered.  Makes 3-1/2 dozen large biscuits.

Puppy Party Platter


Muzzle Lickin' Good



     They smelled delicious as they baked, good enough for human consumption.  Now I know you want to know if I tasted the dog treats.  Yes, I did.  They tasted like bland crackers.  Maybe the provalone gave them a slight bite-y taste.  Mardi loved them.
     The Milk Bone impersonators and the Snickerpoodle recipes look good to.  I'll try them next.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment