Followers

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wedding Trends

     Still on the subject of weddings: I just saw a video about the latest trends for weddings.  We actually did one of the things on the list.  There are two other items on the list that I would like to have done, but didn't pan out.  I never realized I'm so cool!
     Mike and I were engaged in 2007.  I wanted him to wear a "man-gagement" ring.  He turned me down flat.  Low and behold, guys are wearing them now.  While this is a new trend in the United States, it's been going on for ages in other parts of the world.  I was inspired to ask Mike to wear a pre-marriage ring because my German born friend told me about the European custom of men and women wearing wedding rings on the right hand, and switching them to the left hand during the marriage ceremony.
     Some people are dressing up their pets in tiny gowns and tuxedos and including them in the wedding ceremony.  I like this.  When I went to my cousin's wedding in France, there were two dogs at the reception.  Theme weddings are "in."  Surprise weddings are "inner."  Mark Zuckerberg invited people over for a bar-be-que that turned out to be his wedding.  The food station idea has been around for a while, but people are adding an interactive factor - think Benihana chef slicing, dicing, and tossing food around.  Photo booths are passe, but belly dancers and fire eaters are "now."  
     My pet peeve at weddings has always been the wedding cake.  It's for looks, and it never tastes very good.  To top that off, guests never get to enjoy it as a dessert.  It gets rolled up in a napkin, toted home, and probably deposited in the trash can.  Wedding desserts have changed to include cupcakes, pies, and chocolates.  We invited our guests back to our house where we laid out an assortment of fruit, nuts, and desserts.  We had a lot of out-of-towners at our wedding, so it was a great way to show them our house and wind down the evening.
     The best thing about our wedding was that it was our kind of party, and we had fun.  That's the way all weddings should be.


Do you think the sister-sister dance will catch on?
              

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/the-shine-man-gagement-rings-on-the-rise.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AqXlt5Qoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-BbVVt5AI


No comments:

Post a Comment