Followers

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crank Call


      Brr-ring.  Brr-ring.    
     “Hello.”  It was my automatic response to every incoming phone call.
     “I don’t know if I have the right number,” he began.  It sounded like the voice of an elderly gentleman.  “Is this 3-1-6… something.  I don't know.  Anyway, I have a proposition for the lady of the house.  It’s about some funds,” he continued.  At least that's what I thought he said.
     Oh, no, another one.  Even though we were on the "do not call" list, the telephone solicitations were endless – newspapers, charities, survey takers.  Maybe it was some stockbroker making cold calls.
     He went on, “Anyway, as I said, I’d like to make the lady of the house an offer.  Are you the lady of the house?” he asked.
     “You mean a job offer?” I inquired innocently.  I wasn’t in the market for a new job.  Was this one of those work-at-home scams?
     “No, no, there’s no money involved,” he responded.  “It’s only for some fun.  Are you the one?”
     I slammed the receiver.  I’m definitely not the one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment