Followers

Friday, March 2, 2012

Puppy Love

     I like to admire cute dogs.  I like to pet them and fuss over them.  My husband Mike has commented more than once that I don’t have to break into high pitched baby talk every time I encounter a dog on a walking trail.  But, yes, I really have to, because I love their fuzzy little faces.

     The dog in residence these days is named Mardi.  She’s a poodle mix rescue.  She’s curly and black and weighs 10 pounds.  Her first birthday is April 14th.  We’ve been working on civilizing Mardi, and we’ve made strides in that direction.  Mardi’s greatest accomplishment so far has been learning to do her business outside.  She has agreed to restrict her chewing to dog toys – mostly bully sticks and a floppy, de-squeaker-ized fox.  Mardi is also developing a repertoire of silly dog tricks like sitting, dancing, and paw/hand shaking.  We still have to work on the jumping, the digging, and the selective hearing.





     Besides being unable to resist reaching out to touch a hairy muzzle, I’m also unable to pass by dog books at the library.  I just finished a good one – You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam. 

     I couldn’t agree more with Ms. Klam’s main point that dog ownership will force a person into adulthood.  It was all about me until I got my first dog Spike, a Yorkshire Terrier.  No matter how tired I was, I had to take her out in the middle of the night for thirteen and a half years.  I had to adjust my social life to accommodate her bathroom schedule.  On a couple of occasions, I had to get emergency loans from my mother because Spike got sick.  Never truly housebroken, the dog destroyed my carpets.  She enthusiastically greeted visitors, making the best of first impressions.  As those same guests departed, she scared the crap out of them with clawing, snarling, and cuff grabbing.  Such was extent of her separation anxiety that no one was allowed to leave.  Spike went to doggie heaven after a long illness that involved fainting, vomiting, and lots of diarrhea.  So, thanks Spike, for making me grow up and for teaching me about real love.  

     Toppy & Meg's Sooner or Later (aka Spike)       
                                                          1990-2004

3 comments:

  1. Cute shot of Mardi....and of Spike. Who would believe such a cute dog could have been so needy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, Everything you do is golden. You are such a creative, intelligent woman. Continue with this writing. It's quite interesting. Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hofretta@comcast.netMarch 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

    Hey Bev great blogging. It is a treat to actually see the puppies you describe in our writing classes. :) Look forward to hearing more and now I am able to put a mind picture to a topic.

    ReplyDelete